Friday, December 25, 2009

The tree that almost wasn't


Conversation I had with my husband:

Saturday - December 12th
Me: "Honey, can you pick up a Christmas tree this weekend?"
Hubby: "Sure, if I have time I'll pick one up."
Me: "Great, we'll get an early start on setting up the house for Christmas."
Hubby: "Leave it with me."

Monday - December 14th
Me: "I guess you didn't have time over the weekend to get the tree?"
Hubby: "It was busy there, I'll pick one up during the week, I think they wanted to clear the old inventory out over the weekend before they bring out the good trees!!"
Me: "Are you sure.....there were a lot of trees there in the lot."
Hubby: "Yeah, its all about inventory control - Just In Time Inventory, other wise known as JIT, it's quite complicated, I'll explain it to you one day."
Me: "你以为你那么聪明"

Friday - December 19th
Me: "How's the inventory at the story, the fresh Christmas trees coming in yet?"
Hubby: "I'll pick one up this weekend, probably some inventory issues with the trees coming in from the US so they ordered more initially to have a good opening inventory. The NAFTA trade agreement may have something to do with the shipment delays....I'll explain NAFTA to you one day, its quite complicated."
Me: "你以为你那么聪明"
Hubby: "What was that??"
Me: "Nothing...just talking to myself."

Sunday - December 20th
Me: "Did you get a chance to pick up the tree yet?"
Hubby: "No, I think they will go on sale next week. Leave it to me, I'll get us a great deal. They obviously ordered too many."
Me: "Really???"
Hubby: "Its all about supply and demand....economics. It's quite complicated this micro/macro economics, I'll explain it to you one day."
Me: "你以为你那么聪明"

Wednesday - December 23rd
Hubby: "Going to get a tree tonight, wanna come along?"
Me: "Sure, you think there are any left?"
Hubby: "Tons, we'll get a great deal, kinda like a boxing day sale for trees. They really want to clear them out. All these idiots have been paying full price for them over the past few weeks. The stores are now selling them off at rock bottom prices to generate additional cash flows and not be stuck with an obsolete product line, its quite complicted, I'll explain it to you one day."
Me: "你以为你那么聪明"

1st Lot
Hubby: "Can't believe they were sold out."

2nd Lot
Hubby: " Wow, sold out again"

3rd Lot
Hubby: "umm, errr, I think we have a problem."
Me: "你以为你那么聪明"
Andrew: "I think you should have listened to mom last week."
Me: **rolling my eyes**
Me: "You waited until the last moment and they have sold out, nothing complicated here."

Thursday - December 24th
Hubby finds a store giving away free trees and we'll all hear about how this was all planned for the next 8 months.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

my conversation with ming:

mingson: hey ming, did you get the xmas tree?

ming: yes, waited till the last minute, best to go on the 24th, late at nite...you get your best deals then...you can really grind them on the price!..cough...cough

mingson: that is great, but aren't you waiting till the last minute? and maybe risk not getting a tree!?

ming: hey little brother, you got to know how it is done, i go to TnT last minute, get those great deals on bread....50% off, safeway at 11:00 to get 20% off meat...and tim horton's at closing to get deal on some bagels

mingson: wow, really....seems like alot of work to save a bit of money!!!

ming: it is, but i took cost accounting, inventory management, and pricing when i got my cga.....cough...cough

mingson: you been coughing alot, still that same cough since summer!?

ming: yes, which reminds me...i need to get another refill on my medication.....hey marie...is the dollar store open on boxing day....if so, can you pick me up some cough medicine....make sure you check the expiry date....4 months past should still be ok, i just have to double the dosage!

Tofuland said...

Hahhaha...Uncle Ming, you and your brother are just hilarious!! I guess you guys do share very similar style of humour! I have to say Uncle Mingson is more funny!! heheheh....

Unknown said...

your very wise and observant Tofuland!

Unknown said...

Conversation on New Years day:

marie: happy new years everyone!

andrew: happy new years, i found a few more bugs in the room last nite.

ming: i thought i got them all last nite before i went to bed!

marie: yes, i heard you....seems like our bug problem started when you brought home that "FREE" tree.

ming: no, i think it has to do with the cold weather...bug naturally look for a warmer place, to get out of the cold....hence a warm home like ours.

andrew: dad, there's another one over there...can you kill it!

marie: i-ya!...there's another...and one there too!!!

ming: let me see if i can find an exterminator, new years day....weekend....probably have to pay double, maybe triple the regular price!!!!!...grrrr!!!!
>
>>
>>>
>>>>some where in Hawaii
>>>
>>
>
>>
>>>
>>
>
Cristmas Tree lot owner: yes it was a very profitable year, could of done better, except for few trees left over!

Tree lot owner's wife: the one's the city told you to burn cause they were infested with bugs?

Tree lot owner: yes, but if you wait till last minute, there is always someone that would of waited till last minute...and they will take the problem off your hands...it's called inventory management.

Tree lot owners's wife: inventory management?

Tree lot owner: it's kinda complicated, i'll explain it to you later.